The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Act 4, Scene 3
Milan. Outside the Duke’s palace.
- Enter Eglamour.
Eglamour2 - 5
- This is the hour that Madam Silvia
- Entreated me to call and know her mind.
- There’s some great matter she’ld employ me in.
- Madam, madam!
- Enter Silvia above at her window.
- Who calls?
Eglamour8 - 9
- Your servant and your friend;
- One that attends your ladyship’s command.
- Sir Eglamour, a thousand times good morrow.
Eglamour11 - 14
- As many, worthy lady, to yourself.
- According to your ladyship’s impose,
- I am thus early come to know what service
- It is your pleasure to command me in.
Silvia15 - 40
- O Eglamour, thou art a gentleman—
- Think not I flatter, for I swear I do not—
- Valiant, wise, remorseful, well accomplish’d:
- Thou art not ignorant what dear good will
- I bear unto the banish’d Valentine,
- Nor how my father would enforce me marry
- Vain Thurio, whom my very soul abhors.
- Thyself hast lov’d, and I have heard thee say
- No grief did ever come so near thy heart
- As when thy lady and thy true-love died,
- Upon whose grave thou vow’dst pure chastity.
- Sir Eglamour, I would to Valentine,
- To Mantua, where I hear he makes abode;
- And for the ways are dangerous to pass,
- I do desire thy worthy company,
- Upon whose faith and honor I repose.
- Urge not my father’s anger, Eglamour,
- But think upon my grief, a lady’s grief,
- And on the justice of my flying hence,
- To keep me from a most unholy match,
- Which heaven and fortune still rewards with plagues.
- I do desire thee, even from a heart
- As full of sorrows as the sea of sands,
- To bear me company, and go with me;
- If not, to hide what I have said to thee,
- That I may venture to depart alone.
Eglamour41 - 46
- Madam, I pity much your grievances,
- Which since I know they virtuously are plac’d,
- I give consent to go along with you,
- Reaking as little what betideth me,
- As much I wish all good befortune you.
- When will you go?
- This evening coming.
- Where shall I meet you?
Silvia49 - 50
- At Friar Patrick’s cell,
- Where I intend holy confession.
Eglamour51 - 52
- I will not fail your ladyship. Good morrow,
- Gentle lady.
- Good morrow, kind Sir Eglamour.