The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Act II, Scene 2
Verona. A room in Julia’s house.
- Enter Proteus, Julia.
- Have patience, gentle Julia.
- I must, where is no remedy.
- When possibly I can, I will return.
Julia4 - 5
- If you turn not, you will return the sooner.
- Keep this remembrance for thy Julia’s sake.
- Giving a ring.
- Why then we’ll make exchange: here, take you this.
- And seal the bargain with a holy kiss.
Proteus8 - 19
- Here is my hand for my true constancy;
- And when that hour o’erslips me in the day
- Wherein I sigh not, Julia, for thy sake,
- The next ensuing hour some foul mischance
- Torment me for my love’s forgetfulness!
- My father stays my coming; answer not;
- The tide is now—nay, not thy tide of tears,
- That tide will stay me longer than I should.
- Julia, farewell!
- Exit Julia.
- What, gone without a word?
- Ay, so true love should do: it cannot speak,
- For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it.
- Enter Panthino.
- Sir Proteus, you are stay’d for.
Proteus21 - 22
- Go; I come, I come.
- Alas, this parting strikes poor lovers dumb.