Act 3, Scene 3
Another part of the island.
- Enter Alonso, Sebastian, Antonio, Gonzalo, Adrian,
- Francisco, etc.
Gonzalo3 - 6
- By’r lakin, I can go no further, sir,
- My old bones aches. Here’s a maze trod indeed
- Through forth-rights and meanders! By your patience,
- I needs must rest me.
Alonso7 - 13
- Old lord, I cannot blame thee,
- Who am myself attach’d with weariness
- To th’ dulling of my spirits. Sit down, and rest.
- Even here I will put off my hope, and keep it
- No longer for my flatterer. He is drown’d
- Whom thus we stray to find, and the sea mocks
- Our frustrate search on land. Well, let him go.
Antonio14 - 17
- Aside to Sebastian
- I am right glad that he’s so out of hope.
- Do not for one repulse forgo the purpose
- That you resolv’d t’ effect.
Sebastian18 - 20
- Aside to Antonio
- The next advantage
- Will we take throughly.
Antonio21 - 25
- Aside to Sebastian
- Let it be tonight,
- For now they are oppress’d with travail, they
- Will not, nor cannot, use such vigilance
- As when they are fresh.
Sebastian26 - 27
- Aside to Antonio
- I say tonight. No more.
- Solemn and strange music.
- Prospero on the top, invisible.
- What harmony is this? My good friends, hark!
- Marvelous sweet music!
- Enter several strange Shapes, bringing in a banquet; and
- dance about it with gentle actions of salutations; and
- inviting the King, etc., to eat, they depart.
- Give us kind keepers, heavens! What were these?
Sebastian36 - 39
- A living drollery. Now I will believe
- That there are unicorns; that in Arabia
- There is one tree, the phoenix’ throne, one phoenix
- At this hour reigning there.
Antonio40 - 43
- I’ll believe both;
- And what does else want credit, come to me,
- And I’ll be sworn ’tis true. Travelers ne’er did lie,
- Though fools at home condemn ’em.
Gonzalo44 - 51
- If in Naples
- I should report this now, would they believe me?
- If I should say I saw such islanders
- (For, certes, these are people of the island),
- Who though they are of monstrous shape, yet note
- Their manners are more gentle, kind, than of
- Our human generation you shall find
- Many, nay, almost any.
Prospero52 - 55
- Honest lord,
- Thou hast said well; for some of you there present
- Are worse than devils.
Alonso56 - 59
- I cannot too much muse
- Such shapes, such gesture, and such sound expressing
- (Although they want the use of tongue) a kind
- Of excellent dumb discourse.
Prospero60 - 61
- Praise in departing.
- They vanish’d strangely.
Sebastian63 - 65
- No matter, since
- They have left their viands behind; for we have stomachs.
- Will’t please you taste of what is here?
- Not I.
Gonzalo67 - 73
- Faith, sir, you need not fear. When we were boys,
- Who would believe that there were mountaineers,
- Dew-lapp’d, like bulls, whose throats had hanging at ’em
- Wallets of flesh? Or that there were such men
- Whose heads stood in their breasts? Which now we find
- Each putter-out of five for one will bring us
- Good warrant of.
Alonso74 - 77
- I will stand to, and feed,
- Although my last, no matter, since I feel
- The best is past. Brother, my lord the Duke,
- Stand to, and do as we.
- Thunder and lightning.
- Enter Ariel, like a harpy, claps his wings upon the table,
- and with a quaint device the banquet vanishes.
Ariel81 - 112
- You are three men of sin, whom Destiny,
- That hath to instrument this lower world
- And what is in’t, the never-surfeited sea
- Hath caus’d to belch up you; and on this island
- Where man doth not inhabit—you ’mongst men
- Being most unfit to live. I have made you mad;
- And even with such-like valor men hang and drown
- Their proper selves.
- Alonso, Sebastian, etc. draw their swords.
- You fools! I and my fellows
- Are ministers of Fate. The elements,
- Of whom your swords are temper’d, may as well
- Wound the loud winds, or with bemock’d-at stabs
- Kill the still-closing waters, as diminish
- One dowle that’s in my plume. My fellow ministers
- Are like invulnerable. If you could hurt,
- Your swords are now too massy for your strengths,
- And will not be uplifted. But remember
- (For that’s my business to you) that you three
- From Milan did supplant good Prospero,
- Expos’d unto the sea (which hath requit it)
- Him, and his innocent child; for which foul deed
- The pow’rs, delaying (not forgetting), have
- Incens’d the seas and shores—yea, all the creatures,
- Against your peace. Thee of thy son, Alonso,
- They have bereft; and do pronounce by me
- Ling’ring perdition (worse than any death
- Can be at once) shall step by step attend
- You and your ways, whose wraths to guard you from—
- Which here, in this most desolate isle, else falls
- Upon your heads—is nothing but heart’s sorrow,
- And a clear life ensuing.
- He vanishes in thunder; then, to soft music, enter the
- Shapes again, and dance, with mocks and mows, and carrying
- out the table.
Prospero116 - 126
- Bravely the figure of this harpy hast thou
- Perform’d, my Ariel; a grace it had, devouring.
- Of my instruction hast thou nothing bated
- In what thou hadst to say; so with good life,
- And observation strange, my meaner ministers
- Their several kinds have done. My high charms work,
- And these, mine enemies, are all knit up
- In their distractions. They now are in my pow’r;
- And in these fits I leave them, while I visit
- Young Ferdinand, whom they suppose is drown’d,
- And his and mine lov’d darling.
- Exit above.
Gonzalo128 - 129
- I’ th’ name of something holy, sir, why stand you
- In this strange stare?
Alonso130 - 137
- O, it is monstrous! Monstrous!
- Methought the billows spoke, and told me of it;
- The winds did sing it to me, and the thunder,
- That deep and dreadful organ-pipe, pronounc’d
- The name of Prosper; it did base my trespass.
- Therefore my son i’ th’ ooze is bedded; and
- I’ll seek him deeper than e’er plummet sounded,
- And with him there lie mudded.
Sebastian139 - 140
- But one fiend at a time,
- I’ll fight their legions o’er.
- I’ll be thy second.
- Exeunt Sebastian and Antonio.
Gonzalo143 - 148
- All three of them are desperate: their great guilt
- (Like poison given to work a great time after)
- Now gins to bite the spirits. I do beseech you
- (That are of suppler joints) follow them swiftly,
- And hinder them from what this ecstasy
- May now provoke them to.
- Follow, I pray you.
- Exeunt omnes.