Romeo and Juliet
Act V, Scene 2
Friar Lawrence’s cell.
- Enter Friar John.
- Holy Franciscan friar! Brother, ho!
- Enter Friar Lawrence.
Friar Lawrence2 - 4
- This same should be the voice of Friar John.
- Welcome from Mantua! What says Romeo?
- Or, if his mind be writ, give me his letter.
Friar John5 - 12
- Going to find a barefoot brother out,
- One of our order, to associate me,
- Here in this city visiting the sick,
- And finding him, the searchers of the town,
- Suspecting that we both were in a house
- Where the infectious pestilence did reign,
- Seal’d up the doors and would not let us forth,
- So that my speed to Mantua there was stay’d.
- Who bare my letter then to Romeo?
Friar John14 - 16
- I could not send it—here it is again—
- Nor get a messenger to bring it thee,
- So fearful were they of infection.
Friar Lawrence17 - 22
- Unhappy fortune! By my brotherhood,
- The letter was not nice but full of charge,
- Of dear import, and the neglecting it
- May do much danger. Friar John, go hence,
- Get me an iron crow, and bring it straight
- Unto my cell.
- Brother, I’ll go and bring it thee.
Friar Lawrence24 - 30
- Now must I to the monument alone,
- Within this three hours will fair Juliet wake.
- She will beshrew me much that Romeo
- Hath had no notice of these accidents;
- But I will write again to Mantua,
- And keep her at my cell till Romeo come—
- Poor living corse, clos’d in a dead man’s tomb!