Timon of Athens
Act 5, Scene 2
Before the walls of Athens.
- Enter two other Senators with a Messenger.
Third Senator2 - 3
- Thou hast painfully discover’d; are his files
- As full as thy report?
Messenger4 - 6
- I have spoke the least.
- Besides, his expedition promises
- Present approach.
- We stand much hazard if they bring not Timon.
Messenger8 - 15
- I met a courier, one mine ancient friend,
- Whom, though in general part we were oppos’d,
- Yet our old love made a particular force,
- And made us speak like friends. This man was riding
- From Alcibiades to Timon’s cave
- With letters of entreaty, which imported
- His fellowship i’ th’ cause against your city,
- In part for his sake mov’d.
- Enter the other Senators.
- Here come our brothers.
First Senator18 - 21
- No talk of Timon, nothing of him expect.
- The enemy’s drum is heard, and fearful scouring
- Doth choke the air with dust. In, and prepare:
- Ours is the fall, I fear, our foes the snare.