Act 3, Scene 3
Another part of the island.
Alonso and his courtiers continue to search for Ferdinand. They are almost overcome by exhaustion, but Sebastian and Antonio are glad that another opportunity will soon be afforded them of carrying out their plot upon Alonso. Invisible to all, Prospero and Ariel enter. A sumptuous banquet is provided before the eyes of the starving courtiers, who are invited to eat, and as they are about to partake, the feast is snatched away by an unseen hand. Ariel now upbraids them for their former crimes, especially the ‘three men of sin,’ Alonso, Sebastian, and Antonio. Believing Ariel’s voice to be their own evil conscience, they rush off in frantic despair. Gonzalo urges the other members of the company to follow in haste to prevent, if possible, any disaster.
- Enter Alonso, Sebastian, Antonio, Gonzalo, Adrian,
- Francisco, etc.
Gonzalo3 - 6
- By’r lakin, I can go no further, sir,
- My old bones aches. Here’s a maze trod indeed
- Through forth-rights and meanders! By your patience,
- I needs must rest me.
Alonso7 - 13
- Old lord, I cannot blame thee,
- Who am myself attach’d with weariness
- To th’ dulling of my spirits. Sit down, and rest.
- Even here I will put off my hope, and keep it
- No longer for my flatterer. He is drown’d
- Whom thus we stray to find, and the sea mocks
- Our frustrate search on land. Well, let him go.
Antonio14 - 17
- Aside to Sebastian
- I am right glad that he’s so out of hope.
- Do not for one repulse forgo the purpose
- That you resolv’d t’ effect.
Sebastian18 - 20
- Aside to Antonio
- The next advantage
- Will we take throughly.
Antonio21 - 25
- Aside to Sebastian
- Let it be tonight,
- For now they are oppress’d with travail, they
- Will not, nor cannot, use such vigilance
- As when they are fresh.
Sebastian26 - 27
- Aside to Antonio
- I say tonight. No more.
- Solemn and strange music.
- Prospero on the top, invisible.
- What harmony is this? My good friends, hark!
- Marvelous sweet music!
- Enter several strange Shapes, bringing in a banquet; and
- dance about it with gentle actions of salutations; and
- inviting the King, etc., to eat, they depart.
- Give us kind keepers, heavens! What were these?
Sebastian36 - 39
- A living drollery. Now I will believe
- That there are unicorns; that in Arabia
- There is one tree, the phoenix’ throne, one phoenix
- At this hour reigning there.
Antonio40 - 43
- I’ll believe both;
- And what does else want credit, come to me,
- And I’ll be sworn ’tis true. Travelers ne’er did lie,
- Though fools at home condemn ’em.
Gonzalo44 - 51
- If in Naples
- I should report this now, would they believe me?
- If I should say I saw such islanders
- (For, certes, these are people of the island),
- Who though they are of monstrous shape, yet note
- Their manners are more gentle, kind, than of
- Our human generation you shall find
- Many, nay, almost any.
Prospero52 - 55
- Honest lord,
- Thou hast said well; for some of you there present
- Are worse than devils.
Alonso56 - 59
- I cannot too much muse
- Such shapes, such gesture, and such sound expressing
- (Although they want the use of tongue) a kind
- Of excellent dumb discourse.
Prospero60 - 61
- Praise in departing.
- They vanish’d strangely.
Sebastian63 - 65
- No matter, since
- They have left their viands behind; for we have stomachs.
- Will’t please you taste of what is here?
- Not I.
Gonzalo67 - 73
- Faith, sir, you need not fear. When we were boys,
- Who would believe that there were mountaineers,
- Dew-lapp’d, like bulls, whose throats had hanging at ’em
- Wallets of flesh? Or that there were such men
- Whose heads stood in their breasts? Which now we find
- Each putter-out of five for one will bring us
- Good warrant of.
Alonso74 - 77
- I will stand to, and feed,
- Although my last, no matter, since I feel
- The best is past. Brother, my lord the Duke,
- Stand to, and do as we.
- Thunder and lightning.
- Enter Ariel, like a harpy, claps his wings upon the table,
- and with a quaint device the banquet vanishes.
Ariel81 - 112
- You are three men of sin, whom Destiny,
- That hath to instrument this lower world
- And what is in’t, the never-surfeited sea
- Hath caus’d to belch up you; and on this island
- Where man doth not inhabit—you ’mongst men
- Being most unfit to live. I have made you mad;
- And even with such-like valor men hang and drown
- Their proper selves.
- Alonso, Sebastian, etc. draw their swords.
- You fools! I and my fellows
- Are ministers of Fate. The elements,
- Of whom your swords are temper’d, may as well
- Wound the loud winds, or with bemock’d-at stabs
- Kill the still-closing waters, as diminish
- One dowle that’s in my plume. My fellow ministers
- Are like invulnerable. If you could hurt,
- Your swords are now too massy for your strengths,
- And will not be uplifted. But remember
- (For that’s my business to you) that you three
- From Milan did supplant good Prospero,
- Expos’d unto the sea (which hath requit it)
- Him, and his innocent child; for which foul deed
- The pow’rs, delaying (not forgetting), have
- Incens’d the seas and shores—yea, all the creatures,
- Against your peace. Thee of thy son, Alonso,
- They have bereft; and do pronounce by me
- Ling’ring perdition (worse than any death
- Can be at once) shall step by step attend
- You and your ways, whose wraths to guard you from—
- Which here, in this most desolate isle, else falls
- Upon your heads—is nothing but heart’s sorrow,
- And a clear life ensuing.
- He vanishes in thunder; then, to soft music, enter the
- Shapes again, and dance, with mocks and mows, and carrying
- out the table.
Prospero116 - 126
- Bravely the figure of this harpy hast thou
- Perform’d, my Ariel; a grace it had, devouring.
- Of my instruction hast thou nothing bated
- In what thou hadst to say; so with good life,
- And observation strange, my meaner ministers
- Their several kinds have done. My high charms work,
- And these, mine enemies, are all knit up
- In their distractions. They now are in my pow’r;
- And in these fits I leave them, while I visit
- Young Ferdinand, whom they suppose is drown’d,
- And his and mine lov’d darling.
- Exit above.
Gonzalo128 - 129
- I’ th’ name of something holy, sir, why stand you
- In this strange stare?
Alonso130 - 137
- O, it is monstrous! Monstrous!
- Methought the billows spoke, and told me of it;
- The winds did sing it to me, and the thunder,
- That deep and dreadful organ-pipe, pronounc’d
- The name of Prosper; it did base my trespass.
- Therefore my son i’ th’ ooze is bedded; and
- I’ll seek him deeper than e’er plummet sounded,
- And with him there lie mudded.
Sebastian139 - 140
- But one fiend at a time,
- I’ll fight their legions o’er.
- I’ll be thy second.
- Exeunt Sebastian and Antonio.
Gonzalo143 - 148
- All three of them are desperate: their great guilt
- (Like poison given to work a great time after)
- Now gins to bite the spirits. I do beseech you
- (That are of suppler joints) follow them swiftly,
- And hinder them from what this ecstasy
- May now provoke them to.
- Follow, I pray you.
- Exeunt omnes.