Antony and Cleopatra
Act 2, Scene 3
Rome. Octavius Caesar’s house.
- Enter Antony, Caesar, Octavia between them.
Mark Antony2 - 3
- The world and my great office will sometimes
- Divide me from your bosom.
Octavia4 - 6
- All which time
- Before the gods my knee shall bow my prayers
- To them for you.
Mark Antony7 - 10
- Good night, sir. My Octavia,
- Read not my blemishes in the world’s report.
- I have not kept my square, but that to come
- Shall all be done by th’ rule. Good night, dear lady.
- Good night, sir.
- Good night.
- Exit with Octavia.
- Enter Soothsayer.
- Now, sirrah; you do wish yourself in Egypt?
- Would I had never come from thence, nor you thither.
- If you can, your reason?
Soothsayer18 - 19
- I see it in my motion, have it not in my tongue;
- But yet hie you to Egypt again.
Mark Antony20 - 21
- Say to me, whose fortunes shall rise higher,
- Caesar’s or mine?
Soothsayer22 - 28
- Therefore, O Antony, stay not by his side.
- Thy daemon, that thy spirit which keeps thee, is
- Noble, courageous, high unmatchable,
- Where Caesar’s is not; but near him, thy angel
- Becomes a fear, as being o’erpow’r’d: therefore
- Make space enough between you.
- Speak this no more.
Soothsayer30 - 36
- To none but thee; no more but when to thee.
- If thou dost play with him at any game,
- Thou art sure to lose; and of that natural luck,
- He beats thee ’gainst the odds. Thy lustre thickens
- When he shines by. I say again, thy spirit
- Is all afraid to govern thee near him;
- But he away, ’tis noble.
Mark Antony37 - 52
- Get thee gone.
- Say to Ventidius I would speak with him.
- Exit Soothsayer.
- He shall to Parthia. Be it art or hap,
- He hath spoken true. The very dice obey him,
- And in our sports my better cunning faints
- Under his chance. If we draw lots, he speeds;
- His cocks do win the battle still of mine,
- When it is all to nought; and his quails ever
- Beat mine, inhoop’d, at odds. I will to Egypt;
- And though I make this marriage for my peace,
- I’ th’ East my pleasure lies.
- Enter Ventidius.
- O, come, Ventidius,
- You must to Parthia. Your commission’s ready;
- Follow me, and receive’t.