Henry VI, Pt. 1
Act 4, Scene 4
France. Other plains in Gascony.
- Enter Somerset with his army, a Captain of Talbot’s with
Duke of Somerset3 - 11
- It is too late, I cannot send them now.
- This expedition was by York and Talbot
- Too rashly plotted. All our general force
- Might with a sally of the very town
- Be buckled with. The over-daring Talbot
- Hath sullied all his gloss of former honor
- By this unheedful, desperate, wild adventure.
- York set him on to fight and die in shame,
- That, Talbot dead, great York might bear the name.
Captain12 - 13
- Here is Sir William Lucy, who with me
- Set from our o’ermatch’d forces forth for aid.
Duke of Somerset14
- How now, Sir William, whither were you sent?
Sir William Lucy15 - 30
- Whither, my lord? From bought and sold Lord Talbot,
- Who, ring’d about with bold adversity,
- Cries out for noble York and Somerset
- To beat assailing death from his weak legions;
- And whiles the honorable captain there
- Drops bloody sweat from his war-wearied limbs,
- And, in advantage ling’ring, looks for rescue,
- You, his false hopes, the trust of England’s honor,
- Keep off aloof with worthless emulation.
- Let not your private discord keep away
- The levied succors that should lend him aid,
- While he, renowned noble gentleman,
- Yield up his life unto a world of odds.
- Orléans the Bastard, Charles, Burgundy,
- Alanson, Reignier, compass him about,
- And Talbot perisheth by your default.
Duke of Somerset31
- York set him on, York should have sent him aid.
Sir William Lucy32 - 34
- And York as fast upon your Grace exclaims,
- Swearing that you withhold his levied host,
- Collected for this expedition.
Duke of Somerset35 - 37
- York lies; he might have sent, and had the horse.
- I owe him little duty, and less love,
- And take foul scorn to fawn on him by sending.
Sir William Lucy38 - 41
- The fraud of England, not the force of France,
- Hath now entrapp’d the noble-minded Talbot:
- Never to England shall he bear his life,
- But dies, betray’d to fortune by your strife.
Duke of Somerset42 - 43
- Come go, I will dispatch the horsemen straight;
- Within six hours they will be at his aid.
Sir William Lucy44 - 46
- Too late comes rescue, he is ta’en or slain;
- For fly he could not, if he would have fled;
- And fly would Talbot never, though he might.
Duke of Somerset47
- If he be dead, brave Talbot, then adieu!
Sir William Lucy48
- His fame lives in the world, his shame in you.