Henry VI, Pt. 1
Act 1, Scene 5
France. Before Orléans.
- Here an alarum again, and Talbot pursueth the Dauphin, and
- driveth him.
- Then enter Joan De Pucelle, driving Englishmen before her,
- and exit after them.
- Then enter Talbot.
Lord Talbot6 - 13
- Where is my strength, my valor, and my force?
- Our English troops retire, I cannot stay them;
- A woman clad in armor chaseth them.
- Enter Pucelle.
- Here, here she comes. I’ll have a bout with thee;
- Devil or devil’s dam, I’ll conjure thee.
- Blood will I draw on thee—thou art a witch—
- And straightway give thy soul to him thou serv’st.
Joan de Pucelle14
- Come, come, ’tis only I that must disgrace thee.
- Here they fight.
Lord Talbot16 - 19
- Heavens, can you suffer hell so to prevail?
- My breast I’ll burst with straining of my courage,
- And from my shoulders crack my arms asunder,
- But I will chastise this high-minded strumpet.
Joan de Pucelle20 - 26
- Talbot, farewell, thy hour is not yet come.
- I must go victual Orléans forthwith.
- A short alarum: then enter the town with soldiers.
- O’ertake me if thou canst, I scorn thy strength.
- Go, go, cheer up thy hungry-starved men;
- Help Salisbury to make his testament.
- This day is ours, as many more shall be.
Lord Talbot28 - 50
- My thoughts are whirled like a potter’s wheel,
- I know not where I am, nor what I do.
- A witch by fear, not force, like Hannibal,
- Drives back our troops and conquers as she lists:
- So bees with smoke and doves with noisome stench
- Are from their hives and houses driven away.
- They call’d us for our fierceness English dogs,
- Now, like to whelps, we crying run away.
- A short alarum.
- Hark, countrymen, either renew the fight,
- Or tear the lions out of England’s coat;
- Renounce your soil, give sheep in lions’ stead:
- Sheep run not half so treacherous from the wolf,
- Or horse or oxen from the leopard,
- As you fly from your oft-subdued slaves.
- Alarum. Here another skirmish.
- It will not be, retire into your trenches.
- You all consented unto Salisbury’s death,
- For none would strike a stroke in his revenge.
- Pucelle is ent’red into Orléans
- In spite of us, or aught that we could do.
- O would I were to die with Salisbury!
- The shame hereof will make me hide my head.
- Exit Talbot. Alarum; retreat.