All’s Well That Ends Well
Act III, Scene 7
Florence . The Widow’s house .
- Enter Helen and Widow .
Helena1 - 3
- If you misdoubt me that I am not she ,
- I know not how I shall assure you further
- But I shall lose the grounds I work upon .
Widow4 - 7
- Though my estate be fall’n , I was well born ,
- Nothing acquainted with these businesses ,
- And would not put my reputation now
- In any staining act .
Helena8 - 13
- Nor would I wish you .
- First give me trust , the Count he is my husband ,
- And what to your sworn counsel I have spoken
- Is so from word to word ; and then you cannot ,
- By the good aid that I of you shall borrow ,
- Err in bestowing it .
Widow14 - 16
- I should believe you ,
- For you have show’d me that which well approves
- Y’ are great in fortune .
Helena17 - 31
- Take this purse of gold ,
- And let me buy your friendly help thus far ,
- Which I will over - pay and pay again
- When I have found it . The Count he woos your daughter ,
- Lays down his wanton siege before her beauty ,
- Resolv’d to carry her . Let her in fine consent ,
- As we’ll direct her how ’tis best to bear it .
- Now his important blood will nought deny
- That she’ll demand . A ring the County wears ,
- That downward hath succeeded in his house
- From son to son , some four or five descents ,
- Since the first father wore it . This ring he holds
- In most rich choice ; yet in his idle fire ,
- To buy his will , it would not seem too dear ,
- Howe’er repented after .
Widow32 - 33
- Now I see
- The bottom of your purpose .
Helena34 - 40
- You see it lawful then . It is no more
- But that your daughter , ere she seems as won ,
- Desires this ring ; appoints him an encounter ;
- In fine , delivers me to fill the time ,
- Herself most chastely absent . After ,
- To marry her , I’ll add three thousand crowns
- To what is pass’d already .
Widow41 - 48
- I have yielded .
- Instruct my daughter how she shall persever ,
- That time and place with this deceit so lawful
- May prove coherent . Every night he comes
- With musics of all sorts , and songs compos’d
- To her unworthiness . It nothing steads us
- To chide him from our eaves , for he persists
- As if his life lay on’t .
Helena49 - 54
- Why then tonight
- Let us assay our plot , which if it speed ,
- Is wicked meaning in a lawful deed ,
- And lawful meaning in a lawful act ,
- Where both not sin , and yet a sinful fact .
- But let’s about it .
- Exeunt .