All’s Well That Ends Well
Act III, Scene 5
Without the walls of Florence .
- A tucket afar off . Enter old Widow of Florence , her
- daughter , Diana , Violenta , and Mariana , with other Citizens .
Widow1 - 2
- Nay , come , for if they do approach the city , we shall lose
- all the sight .
- They say the French count has done most honorable service .
Widow4 - 7
- It is reported that he has taken their great’st commander ,
- and that with his own hand he slew the Duke’s brother .
- Tucket . We have lost our labor , they are gone a contrary
- way . Hark ! You may know by their trumpets .
Mariana8 - 11
- Come , let’s return again and suffice ourselves with the
- report of it . Well , Diana , take heed of this French earl .
- The honor of a maid is her name , and no legacy is so rich as
- honesty .
Widow12 - 13
- I have told my neighbor how you have been solicited by a
- gentleman his companion .
- I know that knave , hang him ! One Parolles , a filthy officer he is in those suggestions for the young earl . Beware of them , Diana ; their promises , enticements , oaths , tokens , and all these engines of lust , are not the things they go under . Many a maid hath been seduc’d by them , and the misery is , example , that so terrible shows in the wrack of maidenhood , cannot for all that dissuade succession , but that they are lim’d with the twigs that threatens them . I hope I need not to advise you further , but I hope your own grace will keep you where you are , though there were no further danger known but the modesty which is so lost .
- You shall not need to fear me .
- Enter Helen habited like a pilgrim .
- I hope so . Look here comes a pilgrim . I know she will lie at my house ; thither they send one another . I’ll question her . God save you , pilgrim , whither are bound ?
Helena17 - 18
- To Saint Jaques le Grand .
- Where do the palmers lodge , I do beseech you ?
- At the Saint Francis here beside the port .
- Is this the way ?
- A march afar .
Widow21 - 26
- Ay , marry , is’t . Hark you , they come this way .
- If you will tarry , holy pilgrim ,
- But till the troops come by ,
- I will conduct you where you shall be lodg’d ,
- The rather for I think I know your hostess
- As ample as myself .
- Is it yourself ?
- If you shall please so , pilgrim .
- I thank you , and will stay upon your leisure .
- You came I think from France ?
- I did so .
Widow32 - 33
- Here you shall see a countryman of yours
- That has done worthy service .
- His name , I pray you ?
- The Count Roussillon . Know you such a one ?
Helena36 - 37
- But by the ear , that hears most nobly of him .
- His face I know not .
Diana38 - 41
- Whatsome’er he is ,
- He’s bravely taken here . He stole from France ,
- As ’tis reported , for the King had married him
- Against his liking . Think you it is so ?
- Ay , surely , mere the truth , I know his lady .
Diana43 - 44
- There is a gentleman that serves the Count
- Reports but coarsely of her .
- What’s his name ?
- Monsieur Parolles .
Helena47 - 52
- O , I believe with him .
- In argument of praise , or to the worth
- Of the great Count himself , she is too mean
- To have her name repeated . All her deserving
- Is a reserved honesty , and that
- I have not heard examin’d .
Diana53 - 55
- Alas , poor lady ,
- ’Tis a hard bondage to become the wife
- Of a detesting lord .
Widow56 - 58
- I warr’nt , good creature , wheresoe’er she is ,
- Her heart weighs sadly . This young maid might do her
- A shrewd turn , if she pleas’d .
Helena59 - 61
- How do you mean ?
- May be the amorous Count solicits her
- In the unlawful purpose .
Widow62 - 66
- He does indeed ,
- And brokes with all that can in such a suit
- Corrupt the tender honor of a maid .
- But she is arm’d for him , and keeps her guard
- In honestest defense .
- Drum and Colors . Enter ( Bertram ) Count Roussillon , Parolles ,
- and the whole army .
- The gods forbid else !
Widow68 - 70
- So , now they come .
- That is Antonio , the Duke’s eldest son ,
- That , Escalus .
- Which is the Frenchman ?
Diana72 - 75
- He ,
- That with the plume ; ’tis a most gallant fellow .
- I would he lov’d his wife . If he were honester
- He were much goodlier . Is’t not a handsome gentleman ?
- I like him well .
Diana77 - 79
- ’Tis pity he is not honest . Yond’s that same knave
- That leads him to these places . Were I his lady ,
- I would poison that vile rascal .
- Which is he ?
- That jack - an - apes with scarfs . Why is he melancholy ?
- Perchance he’s hurt i’ th’ battle .
- Lose our drum ! Well .
- He’s shrewdly vex’d at something . Look , he has spied us .
- Marry , hang you !
- And your courtesy , for a ring - carrier !
- Exeunt Bertram , Parolles , and army .
Widow87 - 90
- The troop is past . Come , pilgrim , I will bring you
- Where you shall host . Of enjoin’d penitents
- There’s four or five , to great Saint Jaques bound ,
- Already at my house .
Helena91 - 96
- I humbly thank you .
- Please it this matron and this gentle maid
- To eat with us tonight , the charge and thanking
- Shall be for me , and to requite you further ,
- I will bestow some precepts of this virgin
- Worthy the note .
Both Mariana and Widow97
- We’ll take your offer kindly .
- Exeunt .